Monday, July 28, 2008

Copy 2

I could not sleep, and after Sparrows pep talk and a few amazing emails I figured I would have a go at him again.

This is where I was when I stopped to study it closer...



And, if you will ignore the sloppy outlines and color bleeds, (they will be cleaned up last)... this is where I am tonight...




Shadows are like salt. Just enough and it is perfect. But one shake too many and the entire thing is ruined. I knew eventually I would have to learn to control them, and for the first time tonight I finally feel like I CAN.

Still sloppy, but now I am getting somewhere.

Thank you Sparrow. From the beginning you saw my weakness and it really has helped how you have urged me all the while to just go for it. I would not say I am confident yet, but it's coming.

I told you, true Scorpio. You can spot a weakness blindfolded. HAHA!

I love all of you guys. Yall are great.

And two quick things.

Welcome back Woz. Good to see you. I missed you.

And Dianne, I totally freaking LOVE your posts. Your style is quite different than mine, and I really enjoy such a fresh perspective of a type of works I would rarely otherwise see. And VERY colorful.

You people rock!

4 comments:

S said...

Very Good so far Christy. Keep it going--you're on the right track!

S said...

Christy,

BTW...

I don't think it's a weakness. You have to realize that I have a philosophy about education and about learning.

Nobody is born just knowing what to do. You have to hone those skills.

A great musician doesn't sit at the piano and automatically begin playing the most difficult piece of music written.

It takes a few things.

1. You learn a skill in small stages.

2. You repeat that skill (called practice.)

3. After enough practice that skill and a few other 'untaught lessons' become second nature.

4. Then you go and learn more skills and practice again...

You did not begin life by jogging. You began life by crawling and building strength and balance.

It is the same thing with art, with music, with educational pursuits.

Practice...strength...balance...instict.


You also learn rules too. There a rules to every endeavor. Once you know and acquire those ruled, then sometimes, you may chose to purposely break them. Not because you can't do it. But because you chose not to do it.

Christy said...

Sometimes, it does feel like you are wondering around in the dark, just feeling your way through.

And then you stumble across a lightswitch and it suddenly illuminates everything.

Like I said before, I think that is why I love art so much, because the mistakes are not only acceptable, they are part of the process.

In everything else in life, if you screw up you get fired, or lose an oppotunity or waste resources. If you screw up you have 'failed'.

With art, you can not truly get art unless you process those mistakes.

It is the only thing I ever did that I do not approach with an absolute mindset. I really believe that is why I find it so relaxing.

Christy said...

You know, to me, it was you spotting a 'weakness'. Wether you knew you were doing it or not, from the beginning you went straight for the one thing I do consider a 'weakness'.

You have no idea how much you have helped me just by staying focused on it yourself and nudging me to just go for it.

More than once I substituted your confidence for mine, and made a breakthrough every time.

One day it will just come natural, on auto. And pretty much every bit of the confidence it will take to get there I can directly attribute to you.

All I can say is Thank You!