
I saw the original and thought 'Oh! I want one!' Then I realized that compared to that artist I suck. I am like kindergarten. I definately overreached.
This canvas has totally frustrated me. It is sloppy to me, but, it was always suppossed to be practice so, I really have not lost anything but pride. I will keep working on it.
11 comments:
If only they made a paint called 'shadow', now that would be helpful.
lol-Christy. I think he's quite sexy. lol. Actually, he reminds me of Mal in the fantastic series Serenity. (Specifically the one called "Trash". Go rent it! Or buy it. It's worth every penny. Also, that series sort of reminds me of many real life situations even though it's suppose to be "fantasy".
I don't know, Christy. I think it's pretty good!
I haven't seen the original, so I'm not comparing it to anything, but I like him!
It's called "Firefly" series. Not serenity.
Rent the series!
You just use less shadowing than the original person does. What you might want to do is think of it like someone once described putting make up on. You actually put more on and then gradually wipe it and blend it. Also, you might want to see what types of paints were used in that picture. It could just be that acrylics don't work that same way. Why not sign up for a class--just to get some feedback?
Hey darlin!
You will not believe what I just read! Holy SHIT!
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=6206
As for the painting, yes, I do think it is a matter of shadow and acrylics are much different than oil, which the original is.
I have done some decent canvases in oil, when I was a teen, but I don't like working with them. Too wet.
It is about controlling the shadows, which I obviously have not yet mastered.
I went back and cleaned up the outline, pushed the wayward ones back with the fleshtone. That did clean it up a bit, but those shadows are still sloppy sloppy sloppy.
I kept thinking, if I just keep working with them I will accidently figure it out, but the more I did the worse it got.
Not a good sign.
No classes. I don't have the free time.
And besides, I have come this far utterly alone, I know I will get it. Eventually.
I have a lot of those art books/magazines... you know the ones that show step by step how to paint flowers, portraits, landscapes, whatever, they are big thin paperback magazines.
Anyways, I always had a few good ones, but after my grandmother died I inhierited all of hers, some really good ones. Old too, I always sneaked them away as a kid then sneaked them back. She knew I was doing it, I think she was amused by it.
Anyways, there is a really good one about portrait painting in there. Even though it is for oils it will still work.
I think I will have to undertake a serious study of that book before I go any further.
This canvas has me all twisted up.
I will figure it out though.
Eventually.
By the way, I do appreciate the compliments.
As a stand alone canvas, it is ok I guess, but as you see, once compared to the original....
Totally. Depressing.
If I had some whiskey, I would be drinking it right now.
Christy,
My daughter does excellent shadowing in photoshop.
Do you have photoshop?
I think it would be really valuable to practice on that and then integrate it with real paints. The reason why I say that is because I know you can get some amazing results in photoshop and fix and correct as you go--all without the extra cost of paint and canvasses. And you can take one picture and save the original as you experiment with different lights/shadows.
I dont have photoshop on this comp, but really it won't help me anyway.
I just have to teach my fingers to do it, and there is no other way to do that except to hold a paintbrush until your arm feels like it will fall off.
The magazines, and putting it into digital format it all helps, but none of it matters when there is only the brush and the canvas.
Post a Comment