I have not been at DCP recently because something went FUBAR with their log in and registration thingy, and I am now locked out.
I still am visiting just not allowed to comment, I just wanted you to know I wasn't going silent.
And to my 'fan' Genki...
I am not sure if you recieved my email in return to yours. I have notorious email issues.
If you did not get my return email, please tell me here and I will try re-sending it.
I thought technology was suppossed to make our lives easier? (Insert ironic giggles here).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Christy,
Did you get my email? (The one where I mentioned the shadow/light--anatomy thing.)
I'm assuming you did.
S
Regarding DCP...I'm still trying to get that access taken care of.
Oh...the reason I asked about it, Christy, is because I actually spent hours creating it and then trying to make it send to you accurately.
Actually I did just get them. TY so much!
I just got in, let me look them over and I'll be back on in just a bit.
These are really amazing S.
I still have him on my easel, at this point I am not sure what to do, either try to finish with zero confidence or abandon it until I feel better able to work it out.
I really really want to finish, but it is probably a better idea to wait then to try forcing it.
Funny that knowing how and knowing how too are always so very different.
I am going to look over these you sent, then I will decide.
Thank you darlin. That is so neat.
Christy,
First...have confidence! You can do this! You have done the hardest part--you've drawn the guy and his proportions are correct. You have excellent muscle delineation on his chest and abdomen. You used a lot of light/darkness to control his muscle tone on it.
So, the next step is to add the shapes of the darkness to other parts of his body and to delineate more of his musles elsewhere.
Maybe start by adding a few shadows to his lower spine and add some pinkish tones in on the spots on his leg, elbow and upper shoulder where it looks more pinkish. And that leg has a sweet 'J" along the quadrecept that really brings out the muscle. It has lightness near there to and very light shadowing. That little spot of lightness really highlights his strong glut muscle. Actually, that little hint of shadow along the lumbar of his spine and that light gleam on his tush (with the "J" of the muscle) is extremely sexy!)
anyways, what I'm saying is if you're uncomfortable starting with the very dark shadows, then start filling in the more subtle ones first.
I know you can do this, Christy. Because you already have a very good feel for muscle tone and tautness. You're already excellent at subtle shadows and highlights.
So if it makes you feel better than save the darkest spots on the neck, arm(s), and foot for last.
Then, when you're on the neck/arm area, don't look and say, "Ok, I'm drawing an arm." Instead, look at the drawing you have on the computer and eyeball that 'shape' but more importantly trace the shape and FEEL it. Let that shape become one with you. Almost as if you're touching the arm as you sweep the shadow across the deltoid.
Also, think about how your brush is going to sweep across that arm and then later it's going to add a gleam of highlights to accentuate that sweet curve you just shadowed in.
Consider this a practice in going darker. You really can do this Christy!
Yes, going darker has been a problem for me. It really is a matter of confidence. Haunted by the value of shadow.
It does shake me up, makes my hand hesitate when I am on the canvas. But I know the type of confidence I am seeking is not something that comes in a rush. It comes from years and endless hours actually holding the paintbrush and going a tiny bit further every time.
It has shook me, but that is why I love art so much. Unlike almost everything else, the actual confidence comes from making those mistakes and then studying them. Even as my ego shatters, I crave it, I need it, I have to see the full scope of it because every mistake teaches me something new.
Every study is a matter of style, form, color, beauty, culture, shadow, light, emotion, history and every variable of the human condition. I am glad it is hard. It should be difficult.
GOD I LOVE ART!
I did add some highlights to him and it REALLY helped. I have not given up on him yet. In a few days I will document my progress I just want more time to study him before I start sloshing paint around again in a most unrestrained manner.
Speaking of shaken, I had to seek medical attention today, my recent physical....problems... were unexpected and I think that too has kept me studying instead of doing. I am still a little shaky but I think I am better now.
After spending a full weeks pay on a doc, who was a really good doc by the way, I hope I feel better anyway. It was the two weeks pay for the meds that made me cry though.
It was worth it though, I think he saved my life this morning. I think he thinks he saved my life too.
All I know is I am feeling better than I have in weeks and I ain't freaking dead yet.
So I may as well paint something pretty!!!
After a nap. Kinda tired.
Post a Comment