Thursday, December 6, 2007

A moment to satisfy curiousity

I keep being asked the same two questions...

If I am not gay, why do I paint women and not men?

Because women are prettier. Duh.

And...

CAN I paint men...?

Ummmm. Yeah.







Now you know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy,

I had a friend in junior high who use to draw all sorts of women in gowns, in pants, in everything under the sun. She made their hair straight; she made their hair curly.

Oh..and she loved to make drawings like you'd see on the cover of a romance novel.

It didn't matter that she focused more on the women than the man. What mattered is that she could draw them from any time period and would find little ways to create characters out of them.

I always thought that was so cool that she could do that. I'd watch her sketch and darken lines and like magic, you'd have a woman from the 60's right next to an elegant southern belle for the 1860's. It was so cool!

But in a way, it's like watching time do this all over again with my own daughter. She etches and sketches much like my friend use to. But the difference is that instead of drawing romance style covers, my daughter draws science-fiction type characters. Then she adds to them on powerpoint.

And like you, she's drawn more women than men. But mostely it's because you can really do many more interesting things with women than men.

(You seen one naked dude, you've seen em all--umm unless their really fat or really thin. * wink... * But with women, there's always fun ways to make their hair, draw their faces, drape or undrape clothing on them.)

Christy said...

Yeah, I guess it is kinda like a paper doll thing with painting women.

To me, it makes sens that women paint women, for the simple fact we are more familiar with our own sex. We are more observant of the female body.

Male nudes are very difficult to do without getting gay porn. I think it is the fakeness of the pose, the distortion of 'pretty' that makes even a well done nude male still look cheesy.

I have, however, found a perfect source of male 'nudes' to study, who angles and lighting were meant to display their 'machoness'... Underwear ads.

One day I may do a male nude, but he will have to be 'just right' or else I will be too critical.

Anonymous said...

Not powerpoint. (I'm zonked!) Photoshop. You should correct my mis-post and then delete this.

Anonymous said...

The artist here is my daughter. (New website for her.) Take a look at her art.

http://icarus-falls.deviantart.com./

Christy said...

Wow. She is really good.

Very interesting works. Love the pegasus.

Anonymous said...

Some men are prettier than some women though.
& there are some women I'd rather sleep with than some men. For instance, if it came down to most any hwp or even nice female and Karl Rove or Dick Cheney, it would be an easy choice.

But this isn't about me.

Rachel said...

I definitely approve of your paintings of ladies :)

Ally McLesbian