Have you ever watched something, and afterwords realized you had just seen someones masterpiece?
I just saw the most AMAZING little funky South Korean flick, and my brain is still all twisted.
I saw it on Netflix, but if you can find it, it is called Memories of Murder.
Heres the Netflix rundown
"Based on true events, director Bong Joon-ho's moody suspense thriller follows the investigation of South Korea's first recorded case of a serial killer. Over six years, a vicious psychopath has raped and murdered 10 women. Rural cops Park (Song Kang-ho) and Jo (Kim Roe-ha) are assigned to the case, but working with neither a precedent nor advanced forensic technology, they must rely on primitive methods to piece together the clues. "
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Looks like the so-called Korean Wave has hit you.
I'm extremely wary of the Korean Wave, as it is a Trojan horse for the Koreans' primitive fundamentalist Christianity to infiltrate other demographics - especially Chinese-Americans.
With that warning in mind though, this sounds like a cool movie.
It really was a good movie Ally.
One of those that just sticks with you.
Not sure how much it had to do with any religion, seemed kinda irreverent to them all.
There is this one scene where a victim is walking through this field, and all the sudden she stops, realizing she is not alone... Then she just sits there for the longest time in the rain.
It is one of those moments of mounting paranoia, and it just makes your heart go through your throat watching this young woman all the sudden realize she is PREY.
Very intense.
Christy
You make me want to watch the movie. Since you said it's on Netflix, I might as well take out a membership.
The content of the movie may not be Christian/religious, but then people have Korean friends who keep whispering "that actress/singer/whatever is a God-fearing Christian, and you should be too" or something like that. Then you'd be encouraged/forced to do research on the Christian beliefs of the said entertainer. Again, I've seen this work with devastating success in the Chinese-American community.
The other reason I avoid the Korean Wave is because it has next to nothing to offer to this lesbian, thanks to the rampant homophobia of South Korean society.
Formerly Ally McLesbian
I really think you should get a NetFlix account, it is VERY cool.
You can watch a ton of movies online, great quality.
My man was kinda mad cause they only let you do New Releases through the mail delivery, not online, but they have a huge selection of pretty much everything else right online. New Releases can be returned by mail anytime, no late fees.
Since you travel a lot it would come in quite useful.
Thanks Christy!
I got a Netflix account and queued 60 movies for eventual viewing. The first movie will be shipped today.
Memories of Murder is 7th in my queue. I also saw the synopsis for another South Korean movie - and it's about the 1979 assassination of the country's fascist dictator. (A review said the closest analogy would be Rummy shooting W and Cheney at a dinner.)
Since I'll be in Orlando in a week, I could probably take one of the rental DVDs on the road, and return it from there.
Ally McRepuke
BTW, the title of the movie I mentioned is The President's Last Bang.
As for online viewing, Netflix only allows it for Windows computers. I could boot up my Mac in Windows, but it's a minor hassle. I wish they had a Mac-compatible viewer.
Ally McRepuke
Post a Comment