Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Ok Sparrow, tell me where I am going wrong.

Girl With a Pearl Earring. The Original




XXXX pic removed to keep from repeating images.


My practice canvas....unfinished.

XXXX Pic removed, see post Interactive Masterpiece above for images.


Click to enlarge for detail.

I am going to go ahead and color in her headscarf and coat today. That will not be a problem. The problem, as you can see, is her face. I went off the lines somewhere, and I'm not sure where. It will look somewhat different with the other colors added, but they won't change the mistakes I've made.

If you can, compare the two faces, and tell me what is wrong. And what is right.

?

13 comments:

Christy said...

My man had a good idea. He said put her in some eybrows to line up her other features, and when they are right, remove them again.

I'm not even sure it is her eyebrows anymore. Or lack of them.

Anonymous said...

Christy,

Lol. I love ya, darlin'! Ha Ha.

Ok I have to toggle back and forth.

This is what I see.

starting with the eye. The shape of the eye isn't quite large enough. She also has little tiny poofy's under her eyes.They eye by the side where her ear shows is slightly bigger than you drew it.

Feel the shape of her eyes. They aren't the same on both sides.


Her head is also tilted at an angle, but you've given her a more upright-regal posture.

Also, take your mouse and run the shadow with the mouse pointer near her eye and her cheek and see how the hollows are filled in and the bone looks a little more prominent? Same with the shape of the nose and the highlighting off the nose. On the opposite side of her face (where you can't see the ear, her face shows a little more of the angle--as if her head is tilted and her mouth is slightly open.

Does that help?

Anonymous said...

Oh. And the head is too narrow and long.

But do you need to make her look like her or do you just want to progress to other postures?

Anonymous said...

face shape;

Hers is more square and the one you drew was more oval or something.

Anonymous said...

Also, in terms of the body shape the original has a little more squareness (bulk) around the back and shoulders but yours is built more tall and slender like today's models.

The model there is clearly petite but not anorexic. Yours is tall and slender.

Ok. so are you going to slap me silly now and regret asking me?

Christy said...

Not at all, those are very good pointers.

I have been tweaking on her on night, and it gets better then worse then better... But I do see what you have pointed out and it is helping me focus more on what you are seeing.

You are right I did kinda lengthen and slim everything. Thinking how to rework it.

I filled in her coat and went ahead and fixed her eyes, the proportion at least, then I went back and messed with her lips and nose until I messed them up.

But, atleast now I am close on the eyes, Once I get that right the nose and mouth should just form.


Carol is right too, about the neck, same thing you said too thin.

Man this kid had a seriously complicated face. I will rework the nose and lips some in the morning and get another photo and we will see where I am then.

Thank you sweety, like I said, they are good pointers, I was so fixated on those eyebrows and her lips I kinda got lost somewhere in between.

Christy said...

"But do you need to make her look like her or do you just want to progress to other postures?"

I have been thinking about that one since I started.

I suppose that no, she does not have to recreate the original, in fact, the youth of her face kinda makes me leary.

Maybe I should paint her as a grown woman instead of the child she was there?

Hmmm.

That freaking nose is killing me! Now maybe I have those eyes sitting right I can do something with it in the morning.

Christy said...

OMG! I am so stupid.

Ofcourse the proportion of her face is off to me, she was literally a KID!

I am soooooo freaking DUH!

I was looking for symetry, no wonder it was driving me crazy!

I think I am going to age her. I almost already did.

Anonymous said...

Yeh...Christy, you've aged her. Or you've modernized her and made her into a 'modern-day model' (for what it's worth...)

Actually, if you wanted to satirize the modern-day model look, you should put a white-like gauze and tape bandage over the nose as if she's had a nose job. To me, it would be a statement on the whole artificially skinny-plastically molded models we have nowadays.

Hope my comment doesn't insult you.

Anonymous said...

Also, I think aging her is a good idea. You do have quite a lot of 'her' in your drawing. But if you age her, make sure her eyes express her new 'wisdom' instead of childlike innocence. (wisdom=cynicism?)

I actually wish I were there to physically 'touch up' what I see. That's what I meant about being able to do tiny lines and corrections but not the big ones.

Christy said...

I think one of the reasons this painting is a masterpiece, is because it is a glimpse at a forbidden woman-like child.

I will not only have to change the look in her eyes to age her, but the whole face will need to be adjusted.

Her nose will become more prominant without changing shape and her lips will have to be fuller. I already took the baby fat off her cheek, and that is what slimmed the face.

I will rework all of it today.

Anonymous said...

Christy,

I disagree about increasing the lips size to age her. I think you have the lips just right for that purpose.

Lips are fullest in their teens and 20's but after that they actually start shrinking.

I think they are perfect as you had them in this picture. Also, for a serious picture on aging her I don't think you need to change her nose either.

I think if you fixed the eyes a little bit and gave a little bit of shadows below them and the puffyness then that was all you need.

Also, around the eyes you could have a few extra lines. I guess it depends on what age you are trying to make her.

Anonymous said...

Christy,

This is fun for me. Thanks!!!

(Makes me remember the times I snuck my kids drawings and fixed them to my liking. ha ha ha. My kids are both wonderful artists but one of them doesn't draw anymore!!!)