Saturday, December 6, 2008

Apologies

Everyone,

My intention was to start uploading various art photos from my South Korean road trip and my Hong Kong stint. But I feel that this will now have to wait until my return to the US.

My laptop is currently acting extremely strange. Internet connection is as good as ever, and I can find and connect to all the websites and load text with amazing speed. However, binaries - even tiny image files - take forever to load; I can easily wait 10 minutes for a 50K JPG. Some websites that I need for sightseeing research, such as Wikipedia and some of the Seoul subway operators, connect immediately - but never load; they are useless to me as a result.

I did not have this problem before my departure to Hong Kong, and even within Hong Kong, I did just fine. I am very well convinced that the Republican colonial government's supporters, either here in South Korea or in the Korean-American community, decided to plant a virus in my laptop. Since there is little identifying information that I have online which will allow them to trace me (unlike the average South Korean, who must put his/her National ID number on the line, which in turn connects to a massive government database containing your current address and more), attacking my laptop is the next best thing they can do. I'll blame myself for inadequate antivirus protection on my heavy junk laptop anyway. At least this beats someone reporting me to the thought police as a "left-wing activist" for a USD $20K reward, and me rotting in some jail. (Left-wing activism was legal for the past 20 years, but now is again illegal and may be punishable by death.)

The bad news is that I must come back to Seoul again. The good news is that I can wait until the spring. It also is encouraging that the vast majority of people hate their Republican colonial government as much as I do. I'll make sure to come back with a new computer, probably a MacBook, and give it the best antivirus protection that I can buy. As nobody in South Korea uses Macs, nobody writes viruses that can attack Macs anyway. (On the other hand, some websites don't work properly unless you use MSIE - which runs only on Windows.) I hate the idea of having to spend more money in this crappy economy, especially when I am already shelling out a fortune to replace my Nazi BMW, but I may not have a choice. My intention to replace the Nazi with a Hyundai remains unchanged, and is stronger than ever, due to the goodness of the everyday South Koreans.

Meanwhile, the Republican colonial government, and its supporters which make up much of the South Korean social elite and the ENTIRE Korean-American community, have proven themselves to be the worst enemies of world peace, democracy, and prosperity, with their outspoken support of the neocon agenda and the Moonies. We must ensure that the new Obama Administration will make all of them pay dearly.

Again, don't expect the rest of my South Korea and Hong Kong photos for another two weeks. I apologize again.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Me too.

My comp has suddenly started acting VERY weird.

I swear this is one of the strangest months I have ever had.

I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.

Rachel said...

Christy

It does suck being in a city where its subway operator is funded by the Moonies.

Fortunately, Seoul has two subway operators, so I can continue to ride the non-Moonie operator. Sure, some routings do require the Moonie operator, but I don't do those often. In addition, some routes are served by neither operator, but by the national rail; it's like old-time New York - three separate subway systems - though ticketing is all integrated and I can mix any/all operators for my journey at no extra cost.

Ally McRepuke