I took the special tour of previously closed-off sections of the Rear Garden. It runs only 3 times a day, does not run in winter, and is available only in Korean. So come along with me - because if you come out to Seoul on your own, you won't understand a word of what the guide tells you.
This is only a small selection of dozens of photos I took. I can't overwhelm you again. For more, see my personal blog.
Donhwa Gate, the front (south) gate of the palace. This palace was first built in 1405, destroyed by the Japanese invaders in 1592, and rebuilt in 1610. Most buildings date from 17th and 18th Centuries.By comparison, the main palace, Gyeongbok, a kilometer or so to the west, was also destroyed by the Japanese in 1592, but never really rebuilt until the 19th Century - and even then, when the Japanese came again in 1910, they destroyed much of the palace again to build their imposing Governor General building. Gyeongbok is being restored right now; the Japanese Governor General building was torn down in the 1990s.
Paintwork details of Donhwa Gate. Christy, I know you love this color scheme!
A 3-lane pathway. The middle lane is crowned, and only the king could walk on it. Violators were punished by flogging. The lady in the hat with a microphone in front is my guide. I walked in the king's footsteps (without being flogged) to get to the Rear Garden, which is also commonly known by its Japanese-era name, the Secret Garden, as well as a less common name, the Forbidden Garden. The Rear Garden was used by the king as a working vacation/meditation area, though historical dramas suggest that he dated concubines there too.
Korean gardens use mostly natural elements, but artificial elements do exist. Notice the waterlily-covered square pond, with the circular island in the center with a pine tree on it. In Korean cosmology, the sky is round, and the earth is square; you can see it right in South Korea's national flag.Behind the pond is a two-story pavilion used by the king to meet with advisors. The small gate at the bottom of the hill is called the Gate of Fish and Water, so called because the king and his advisors were as inseparable as fish and water. Naming these pavilions and structures was a very fine art in itself.
These structures were built at the same time John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence and George Washington was busy fighting the redcoats: 1776.
Gate of No Aging, carved from one single giant piece of rock. In royal Korea, ensuring a long, prosperous life for the king was paramount, as the government would stop completely upon the death of a king until a new king could be inaugurated. Today, if the President died in office, the Prime Minister would continue to run the government - but that was not the case in royal Korea.Despite this gate, as I mentioned before, the average Joseon king didn't live to see his 44th birthday. The most beloved king, Sejong (4th out of 27 kings) who invented the Korean script, died in his early 50s. Gojong (26th), who started as a teenage king in the 19th Century and eventually became a ripe old emperor, was one of the few exceptions.
There are replicas of this gate everywhere. One exists at Gyeongbok Palace's subway station.
This is what a traditional Korean house looks like without its paint.
A very unusual pondside pavilion, in the shape of a fan.
Even the sign on this pavilion is unusual; it's in the shape of a leaf and is green, unlike other signs which are rectangular and white or black.This being a rather large and hilly garden, pavilions were strategically placed wherever the king would need to take a rest.
Stones where the crown prince would practice his royal walk. A Korean king walked with his feet spread out at an angle, his stomach out in front, and his hands held in the back. Because at rest, the feet made out the shape of the Chinese numeral eight (八) (ankles together at the top, toes spread apart), this walk is called the Figure Eight Walk.
Thatched roof is a hallmark of commoners in Korea, never the nobility, much less royalty. This is the only thatched roof structure in all of the palace. Note the rice growing in front; the king cultivated rice here himself to set an example for his subjects, though it was really a propaganda ploy, as the hard work was all done by the servants. Similarly, the queen planted mulberry trees and harvested silk elsewhere in the garden.
I finished the tour, then headed for nearby Jogyesa, the head temple of the Jogye order which controls 90% of South Korea's Buddhist temples. Near Jogyesa, there are plenty of shops selling Buddhist motifs, monk uniforms, and more. One of the shops had this lovely portrait of our beloved transgender matron saint, Kwan Yin. I went to another shop and bought a 3-inch standing golden statue of androgynous Kwan Yin, for 20,000 won (USD $20). Other artwork for sale included the Maitreya Buddha - both the Korean pensive variety and the Chinese happy variety.Again, refer to my personal blog for photos of Jogyesa itself, as well as some discussion on the politics of Buddhism and Christianity in South Korea.
Walking further from Jogyesa, I came upon this bell pavilion. On the lower level, three guards stand. On the upper level, there is a bell, which used to ring twice a day to announce the opening and the closing of the city gates. Today, the bell rings only once a year - at the strike of midnight on New Year's Eve, when it's rung 33 times. This makes this spot Seoul's answer to Times Square in New York.Seoul's main street, Jongno (Bell Street), refers to this bell, and runs east-west in front of this pavilion. Jongno was once known for its streetcars, which were retired in 1968 and replaced with Seoul's first subway line in 1974.
I finished the day with a hamburger lunch at Lotteria next to this pavilion; Lotteria is a local fast food chain that competes with McDonald's and Burger King. I always make the point of visiting local fast food chains whenever I visit a foreign country, as well as a McDonald's, to get a feel for how the menu is localized. For example, both Lotteria and McDonald's sell burgers that use Korean marinated beef, "bulgogi," as the patty. It was also nice to listen to some Mariah Carey as I ate; despite all the anti-American feelings over W's policies and mad cow disease, Mariah Carey is still a very popular figure here. It was, however, odd to eat beef while carrying a statue of Kwan Yin, an icon of vegetarianism...
9 comments:
Wow! Those pictures are so beautiful! I love the house without paint. And the shape of the buildings.
I can't seem to log in.
s
Well, after trying to work out the king's walk, I think I've done myself an injury - or twisted an ankle or something! Guess I wouldn't have made a very good king.
I'm taken everywhere by the colors of the buildings, underneath the eaves and rooves. That green, peppermint, is absolutely beautiful. And elsewhere it will be blue. And other times pink. But always shades that are subtle - not pale, not dark; not bright nor lackluster; not vivid nor bland. Striking.
And it's not that a beam is painted in one color. But each beam is painted with its own design. Each part of each building has been painted with its own design and an array of colors. Our buildings are very boring I've decided.
Thanks Suz and woz!
woz - sorry to hear about you hurting yourself trying to imitate the king!
It's not just the painted wooden elements of the building that are unique and striking - the roof edges also have gargoyles sitting on top, and I will share those photos next time.
Ally McRepuke
Ooughhhhh. Ahhhhhhh! Ohhhhh!
That is so beautiful!
I have gone coo-coo for Korea!
Let me just look at them some more!
Christy
I'll be here for several more weeks. I will feed you with even more art during that time!
Ally McRepuke
Yes, yes. FEED ME!
HAHAHA!
Feed us all.
Christy
I will! In return, you'll have to draw me a meat-eating Kwan Yin! :)
Ally McRepuke
You know Ally, just looking at these, I am not even sure what to say, because honestly I am stunned by the beauty of it.
And I know you understand what I mean when I say it is so 'different' than the white girl art world I studied all my life.
Do you know that feeling where you have so many questions about something unfamiliar, but looking at it you are not even sure what to ask...? It is so amazing and spans so much time I don't even know where to start. All I can do is look at your pictures and just shake my head in wonder.
That is what it is like to look at what you are showing us. It is so beautiful and strange it is like a fairytale.
I truly envy you my friend. Walking in the footsteps of KINGS!
And you can understand the guide on the special tours! HAHAHA! So right, I would not have a clue as to what they were talking about!
Yes, Yes, that color scheme. Absolutely divine.
What a wonderful gift you are giving us here Ally. Not just artistic but cultural, historical, and in such a way none of us would ever be able to experience if not for seeing it through your eyes.
Thank you darlin.
And a meat eating Kwan Yin...? Ummmm.
What happened to the miniskirt Kwan Yin?
Christy
Glad to know you are enjoying my photos, even though I am definitely overloading you with unexpected stuff. :)
Of course, the meat-eating Kwan Yin is only a joke. I'd consider that blasphemy - just like an Asian-looking Jesus is considered blasphemy here in South Korea.
But yes, I really want the miniskirted Kwan Yin! If you wanna see what she needs to wear, I can show you a pic of me wearing a pink miniskirt suit. Don't think she could do her trademark pose without exposing herself though. :(
On the other hand, the sweater-leggings Kwan Yin could definitely pull off the pose - and could even be playing Go while at it. If you don't know what Go is, I can show you photos of the board game.
Ally McRepuke
Post a Comment