Sunday, September 7, 2008

Religious Art

When I get to South Korea, you can count on the following from me when it comes to religious art.
  • Plenty of Buddhist art, for their historical value, and out of respect that DiAnne and I carry for Kwan Yin.
  • As much shamanistic art as I can find, before the Christian extremists wipe them out forever.
  • No Confucian art, as they are the reason why Korea became such a backward country in the royal era (and to a lesser extent, even today). I am firmly against belief systems that set strict arbitrary hierarchies between people. Confucians have also suppressed the Buddhists for spreading "dangerous" concepts such as equality.
  • No Christian "art," as there is no such thing as Korean indigenous Christian art. They are busy copying the works of the superior white (often American) men - Korea is the only place where drawing Jesus and Mary in the form of the natives is considered blasphemy. Lots of subservient Confucian influence in Korean Christianity - hence their blatant support of the US Republicans. Christians, led by the new government, are very busy cracking down on Buddhists and shamans. (And funding California's gay marriage ban initiative.)
  • I will make a few exceptions for Christian "art" - I will photograph and post plenty of obnoxious, illegally posted Christian stickers on subway trains, power poles, and other public places. I will also photograph and post lunatic Christian missionaries on street corners blasting their doomsday scenarios.
  • There is a mosque in Seoul as well, but I will stay away as well, as the Muslims are complicit in Christian theocracy both in South Korea and in the US (where Muslims were overwhelmingly Republican until W betrayed them).
Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Kwan Yin has millions of followers. I just love the internet. I heard about her only a couple of years ago and wanted to know more. The internet makes it so easy. So, I for 1 am looking forward to your Buddhist art contributions, Rachel. And I'm sure your travels will serve you well in every respect. You won't need luck because you are aware and have knowledge of pitfalls and where you might find them. I look forward to the works you choose to send us.

S said...

Good luck, Rachel! Can't wait to see all you've seen!

Rachel said...

woz and suz

Thanks for your support. I am sure I will find plenty to share with all of you during my stay in Korea.

Rest assured that you won't miss much, as the Confucian stuff that I am leaving out are boring to worthless anyway. Before the Confucian takeover, the Koreans produced beautiful blue celadons that were in demand in China, Japan, and the Arab world, fueling trade and prosperity. The Confucians replaced them with boring, worthless white celadons, which had far less demand, cutting off almost all trade and leading to isolationist policies.

The Confucian isolationist state called itself Joseon (Choson). Today, another isolationist Korean state calls itself Joseon (Choson); it's North Korea. (South Korea no longer uses the Joseon name.)

Thanks for your support.

Ally McRepuke

Christy said...

Good Luck.

Sounds like Korea is quite a confusing place.