Today, I spent an afternoon at a privately owned folk museum in a newer part of Seoul, attached to a huge shopping mall. Although the exhibits are all replicas, they still tell a good story about the Koreans - and since they are replicas, I could go very aggressive with my flash and get better photos as a result.
Part I covers history through 935 CE. Part II will cover everything after that. The Korean states covered herein are:
- Goguryeo, 37 BCE - 668, covering North Korea and Manchuria
- Baekje, 18 BCE - 660, covering western South Korea
- Silla, 57 BCE - 935, initially covering eastern South Korea, then all of Korea from Pyongyang southwards
These shaman guardians used to decorate village entrances. Here, they guard the escalator up to the folk museum that I visited.The left one is labeled "Female General of the Underground." The right one is labeled "Great General Under the Heavens."
"Four Devas" - four kings that guard entrances to Korean Buddhist temples. Here are two of them.
A Silla Maitreya Buddha, in his trademark pensive pose. This style later took off in Japan. I shared a dim photo of a similar statue a few days ago.
A riverside settlement, circa 2000 BCE. This settlement is now inside Seoul city limits.
A Goguryeo royal tomb, showing the kingdom's trademark friezes. Smaller than actual size.
Goguryeo fashion.
A Baekje royal tomb, built to actual size.
Baekje fashion.
A Silla noble by the name of Ureuk, playing his invention, Gayageum, a 12-string musical instrument. It looks similar to Japanese string instruments that are better known in the Western world. Gayageum is named after a short-lived kingdom of Gaya, which occupied part of Silla's territory.
The object of this Silla game: throw the arrow into the vase.
Silla was known for its gold crowns and girdles, as shown.
Silla's state religion was Buddhism. A grotto was built outside its capital Gyeongju, and this is a scaled-down replica. I will see the real thing if/when I can take my road trip to Gyeongju, a 4-hour drive from Seoul.
Anapji, an artificial pond/garden that once existed in Silla's capital Gyeongju. Archaeologists are still learning about this place, which was first excavated in 1975.
Silla fashion.
Silla had two queens - the only female rulers ever in Korean history. Here, Chinese envoys visit Queen Seondeok.This is it for now. I don't wanna overload your senses and your brains.
4 comments:
Rather than comment on the Korean History represented here, the thing that jumps out at me is the beautiful and colorful adornment of structures and fabrics. For that period. What did they dye with? What kind of husks or ochres or other materials would give these colors?
The shaman guardians at the foot of the escalator look contemporary in their caricature-style faces. Like I'd expect to see graffitied onto a wall some place.
Again, the 2 Devas guarding the Buddhist temple, are so colorful. And so to, the fashion of the time.
I just love all the colors and designs.
Thanks woz!
The dyes used various well-known minerals and other natural materials. I actually saw a display of those minerals over at the National Museum on the day I arrived in Seoul, though I didn't take a detailed photo.
Ally McRepuke
Too late! My brain is overloaded.
I like it!
That tomb... oh lala. I have a thing for royal tombs.
On that second tomb pictured, with the black coffins... What is with that wall behind it? Why is it multicolored? Is that paint or inlaid stone maybe?
Me too, love the Devas. love the colors. The gold crown and girdles are way cool.
But those miniatures.. Those just take my breath away every time. The scope and detail are really unbelievable.
Christy
Dunno about why the coffin is black... But the multicolored walls on that Baekje tomb are simply differently colored bricks. I think they are just random, though I may be wrong.
Glad that you like the photos.
Ally McRepuke
Post a Comment