Saturday, November 29, 2008

Greetings from Hong Kong

I decided that I was no longer going to take any more of South Korea turning itself into a cut-rate colony of a failed, discredited US political movement. I took the next flight out to Hong Kong.

I'm sleepless this morning; it's 5AM now. Six hours ago, I flew over the world-famous harbor and saw the lovely Kowloon lights and the distinctive Hong Kong Island skyline. I still can't believe that I'm in Hong Kong. This is the farthest I've ever traveled from my home - 7,300 miles at least - though from my current Seoul base, it's only 1,300 miles taking 3 1/2 hours.

The sun should rise in 1 1/2 hours. I'll get as much sleep as I can now. My Hong Kong agenda will not include much art, but it will definitely include the huge bronze Buddha over at Lantau Island as well as a Taoist temple right in front of my hotel (both supposedly have more Kwan Yins that I must check out). FYI, in Cantonese, Kwan Yin is pronounced Gun Yam. I'll post those photos first, then take care of my South Korean road trip photos later.

3 comments:

Christy said...

How I envy you Ally. Hong Kong!

That is too damn cool.

Speaking of cool, I recieved a package from South Korea with a Happy Buddah inside!

HAHAHA! He is GREAT! Thank you so much!

What a little treasure! I have had all my family and friends rubbing his belly!

My kids LOVED the box, all the strange writing and markings, it is so exciting to show them something that came from so far away.

Thank you again darlin, he is great, I love it!

Now go have enough fun in Hong Kong for all of us!

Rachel said...

Christy

Thanks for your good wishes! I love Hong Kong.

And good to know that my Happy Buddha made it out to you safely and in one piece. May he bring you lots of good luck and Number 8's!

Ally McRepuke

Rachel said...

Christy

FYI... it cost me next to nothing to send you that Happy Buddha.

4,000 won for the statue
60 won to print my note to you at Kinko's
300 won for the box
3,770 won for postage

Grand total is 8,130 won.

Exchange rate used to be 1,000 won to the US dollar, but with the colonial government's outdated neoliberal economics, it's now 1,500 won to the dollar.

Over here in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Dollar is fixed at about 7.7 to a US dollar. I definitely miss the dramatic increase in spending power that I had experienced back in Seoul. But right now, that's the only thing about Seoul I miss right now.

It's 10AM on Monday the 1st of December. Time to start hitting the museums, as they are opening now.

Ally McRepuke