Friday, October 31, 2008

Goya Self Portraits


Chronology?

2 comments:

Christy said...

That is very interesting. You can see the cronology of his aging.

I did a pencil sketch of myself twice. One a portrait, which I no longer have, it got left behind in a cross country move.

And one a sketch of my own backside. I was playing with a mirror. It is actually the first pencil sketch I ever did without any hesitation lines.

I have yet to live that one down, too.

I won't try to paint my face again, because for some reason that portrait I did of myself just looks retarded to me.

But some artists find themselves their own best subject. I think I bore me.

Christy said...

When looking at an artists self portrait I always wonder...

Was it ego.. or practice... or documentary...?

It is always an odd thing for an artist to use themselves as a model. It is compelling to see how they saw themselves.