Thursday, October 2, 2008

Popular Art in Seoul

Hey, it's not fine art, but I'm gonna share it anyway.

This social bar (in South Korea, referred to by the German word "hof") is named Kennedy Rose. And that's, yes, Marilyn Monroe in front. I just had to share that statue with you!

This bar is located in northeastern downtown Seoul, just outside Sungkyunkwan University, a very conservative Confucian institution owned by the Samsung neoliberal empire, which has unsuccessfully tried to preserve South Korea's old primitive family/moral laws. Under the old laws, married women had neither property rights nor custody of their children, and automatically lost everything to their husbands upon divorce. And in general, full civil rights were the luxury of married men only.

Despite the character of the school, however, I loved seeing this bar - and a Friends-themed cafe which reminded me of my idol Jennifer Aniston.

I have tons of photos from Busan, 260 miles away, where I spent the past two nights. I'll pick some photos and upload them after I take a nap.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

We all need a total veg out on the frivolous side of life, Rachel. Glad you enjoyed this.

Christy said...

Everybody still loves Norma Jean.

Yes indeed Ally, enjoy yourself!

What a great adventure we are being let in on! HAHA!