Monday, January 21, 2008

Funny

I told you the story of my moms bible and how it got me hooked on art, and I will be damned if I did not come and coincidently pulled up an image from that bible. I thought it was so beautiful as a child, and now I remember why. This is the first time I have seen it since I was 7.

Joash Shooting the arrow of Deliverance 1844 by William Dyce

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed because Joash looks, well, Middle Eastern. Usually European artists paint Biblical characters as lily-white.

And is that God behind him? Rather gaunt-looking...

Christy said...

Maybe God, I don't know.

Strange you say that because me too, I thought it was strange that he was actually painted to look ethnic.

All the other art in that bible, which was all christian based, were all depicted as white people by the white people that painted them.

It is actually more beautiful than I remember it being.