Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pompeii














Villas in Pompeii were lavishly decorated.  Here are two examples of the "exquisitely crafted mosaics that adorned the floors of the entrances to" the villas.


6 comments:

S said...

beautiful!!!

~~s

Christy said...

Nice!

Not too many preserved that well.

Every floor should have a mosaic or painted rug on it. That should be a law or something.

Wendy said...

hahaha - yes - when I saw these, I thought that very thing - what a fantastic entrance to home.

No - I guess when the lava from a volcano buries most, it's a bit hard to find some intact. I'm hoping that we can make a trip to Pompeii and maybe see for ourselves, in situ. The whole city is a gallery it seems.

Christy said...

It is a gallery, for sure.

I recently wrote to the Culture Minister in Italy ( I think that is what he is called), because they are having a problem with the ruins, as far as funding digs and restoration and also security, to keep tourists from swiping things.

Anyways, the whole point of the argument is that surrounding the ruins are nieghborhoods teeming with unemployment, and to 'protect' the ruins they are going to basicly section it up and sell it off in pieces to 'private intrests' that can fund their own private digs and security.

So I wrote to the Minister because there is actually a better solution to all of it and it is actually quite straightforward.

Rebuild and reopen the Ampitheatres of Pompeii, put them BACK into use, as they were originally intended to be used.

Not only will people world wide pay very well to come see Greek Tragedys played out in a real Ampitheatre, but it would also employ so many people just to cast a play.

Rebuild the outdoor concessions and shops immediately around the theatres.

It would provide enough money for security and to keep digging so none of it will have to be sold off to private investors.

But I am not sure how eager they are to actually keep such a treasure in the hands of the public.

Wendy said...

Fantastic letter and suggestions, Christy. You astound me with your reach, your knowledge, your ideas and solutions, your commitment and most of all, your action. And I would certainly be an audience member in such a place. I do hope that they took your letter seriously.

Thank you.

Christy said...

Me too, I would save up my entire life just to see a play in a real ampitheatre in Pompeii.

It would be an unforgetable experience.

As for the other, TY.

Sometimes though, it is incredibly frustrating. Like when the Bridge to Nowhere unfolded in my mind, it was so great... but... then what?

I can not even develop the prototype. I am not rich, nor do I know how to go about trying to talk rich people out of their money to build one for me. So, it is a great idea, but it means nothing until it can be taken from theory to reality.

I am not a doctor or a policy maker or a teacher, I am no body from no where, and I have like atleast 2 'great ideas!' like 5 times a day, but... then what?

I can write to the Minister in Italy, but, I am just an artist from wherever and I doubt my email ever made it past his receptionist.

I do hope it did and he considers it though. It would be a shame to see such a treasure sold off in pieces. That is just so wrong.