As you may have noticed, I've been using small amounts of Chinese script in my posts. It'll only continue as I post artwork that I run into in South Korea.
Some Koreans will hate me for using Chinese script instead of the outstanding Korean alphabet (as I previously mentioned, Chinese script is banned in North Korea, and becoming increasingly rare in South Korea as well). But given that the audience of this blog is non-Korean, and given that most East Asians (and some non-East Asians) readily understand Chinese characters, I will continue to use Chinese script to clarify concepts. And since Chinese characters are iconographs, they are perfect for this purpose.
I will be using traditional Chinese script for South Korean artwork, as South Korea's Chinese character set (漢字, hanja) is based on them, having never been seriously reformed. However, this is changing, as most younger South Koreans tend to learn simplified Chinese script, along with spoken Mandarin Chinese.
If you have Windows Vista or Mac OS X, both Chinese and Korean scripts should properly display without any tweaks. If you have Windows XP, you'll have to install East Asian character sets through the Control Panel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment