The painting is lovely. I find it interesting that Helen isn't completely finished with the privacy/intimacy of dressing when the painting is done. Is this to remind us that she was already married when Paris kidnapped her and took her to Troy along with some of Menaleus's treasure.
Or is it simply to give a glimpse to her beauty. How old is that painting? I've seen that hairdo on women at this time - both black and white women.
Greek mythology, the Iliad, the Odyssey are all so complicated. Fascinating but way too complicated for this *bear of very little brain*.
I don't know - I just read that 3 goddesses offered Paris a bribe (while he was a shepherd) to award the "fairest" of them a golden apple promised by the goddess of discord (strife) Eris.
Aphrodite's bribe - the most beautiful woman as a bride - appealed to Paris. The most beautiful woman was Helen but she was already the wife of Menelaus. I would say that she didn't struggle a whole lot or there would have been no need to send 1000 ships after her, Paris would never have got away from there.
"Whether or not there was love between Menelaus and Helen is unclear. In the end, they may have been reconciled, but meanwhile, when Paris came to the court of Menelaus of Sparta as a guest, Menelaus received and extended hospitality to him. Thus, when Menelaus discovered that Paris had taken off for Troy with Helen, he was enraged at this violation of the laws of hospitality. Along with Helen, Paris stole wealth, which he offers to return in the course of the Iliad, even when he is unwilling to return Helen."
From Helen of Troy basics: http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/troyilium/a/helenoftroybasc_2.htm
well, I think if we take the gods out of it, and just focus on the basic human aspect of the story...
It is just hard for me to believe she was 'kidnapped'. Possible, yes, but it just does not seem like a hostage situation.
Like I said why is there no scenes of her attempting escape or demanding to King Priam that she be returned?
To me, if it was a kidnapping, Priam was known as a good man, and he was seeking peace with Sparta, it just seems like he would have sprung her as it was not just the right thing to do, but would have been politically best for him. Instead he made her a princess of troy. It is inexplicable.
The only thing that makes sense is she was there willingly.
5 comments:
That treasure unearthed is absolutely amazing! And you're right - it does seem that Sophia is wearing some of it.
The painting is lovely. I find it interesting that Helen isn't completely finished with the privacy/intimacy of dressing when the painting is done. Is this to remind us that she was already married when Paris kidnapped her and took her to Troy along with some of Menaleus's treasure.
Or is it simply to give a glimpse to her beauty. How old is that painting? I've seen that hairdo on women at this time - both black and white women.
Greek mythology, the Iliad, the Odyssey are all so complicated. Fascinating but way too complicated for this *bear of very little brain*.
Sophia was definately wearing it, that photo is how the Turks found out about the treasure.
I think that painting my be contemporary. I tried looking it up further but i could not find it or even a better view of it.
Do you think she was actually kidnapped or did she just leave?
It seems like to me that she was not being held against her will. I mean, there is no dramatic scene where she demands her freedom or tries to escape.
How could he possibly have got her out of Sparta without anyone noticing? One scream would have warned everyone.
I don't know, it is one of those funny stories where you can argue both theories equally.
I don't know - I just read that 3 goddesses offered Paris a bribe (while he was a shepherd) to award the "fairest" of them a golden apple promised by the goddess of discord (strife) Eris.
Aphrodite's bribe - the most beautiful woman as a bride - appealed to Paris. The most beautiful woman was Helen but she was already the wife of Menelaus. I would say that she didn't struggle a whole lot or there would have been no need to send 1000 ships after her, Paris would never have got away from there.
"Whether or not there was love between Menelaus and Helen is unclear. In the end, they may have been reconciled, but meanwhile, when Paris came to the court of Menelaus of Sparta as a guest, Menelaus received and extended hospitality to him. Thus, when Menelaus discovered that Paris had taken off for Troy with Helen, he was enraged at this violation of the laws of hospitality. Along with Helen, Paris stole wealth, which he offers to return in the course of the Iliad, even when he is unwilling to return Helen."
From Helen of Troy basics:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/troyilium/a/helenoftroybasc_2.htm
well, I think if we take the gods out of it, and just focus on the basic human aspect of the story...
It is just hard for me to believe she was 'kidnapped'. Possible, yes, but it just does not seem like a hostage situation.
Like I said why is there no scenes of her attempting escape or demanding to King Priam that she be returned?
To me, if it was a kidnapping, Priam was known as a good man, and he was seeking peace with Sparta, it just seems like he would have sprung her as it was not just the right thing to do, but would have been politically best for him. Instead he made her a princess of troy. It is inexplicable.
The only thing that makes sense is she was there willingly.
Post a Comment