


I want to take a few light, easily carried, specifically Australian, gifts to leave in the self-catering accommodation I'm renting in Ireland for 2 weeks and in France for 2 weeks. When I was out in country New South Wales recently I bought some fridge magnets - small paintings on flat magnets - and suddenly thought - yes - that's it. Art. Little. Not kangaroos and koalas. Not the typical boomerang. Something else that is uniquely Australian.
I looked at an old website of a man I know who has a gallery in a town I lived at for 15 years. I was back there recently and bought some of his cards. I was surprised by these works which I find fascinating.
John is a realist painter living in the dry harsh outback far from the sea. Doris lives in her native country in the north east of Australia where the rainforest, the Daintree, meets the sea. She was taught to paint by the elders of her tribe and English is her second language. Eight years ago a challenge was set by an Aboriginal art group for an Aboriginal artist and a non Aboriginal artist to collaborate on one work. John and Doris collaborated on many works.
Here are a few of them. Such totally different styles. Does it work?
5 comments:
Oh yes. It works!
Great colors!
I love the 'suggestion' of Aborigini art, the lines that suggest shape and meaning, and these are some really cool examples.
My favorite has to be the last one.
BTW Woz, you have admin. status too now so you can edit your own posts and comments.
That's really cool work, Woz.
Christy and everyone--thanks for keeping both blogs going when I get busy.
Today I had the last of 2/3 of my classs and almost have the grades entered.
My Friday class had ONE REALLY MEAN STUDENT who I'm praying won't be there tomorrow.
It's been an extremely difficult term for me.
Next week I work full-time as an aid--so I'll be busy while at work but will have some leisure at home. (Though I do need to prepare for the fall.)
So hopefully, I will have more time to blog.
Admin. status! yikes! That scares me about as much as my friend's suggestion that I write a book on Handy Home Hints. God, my mother must have choked on her angel-food-cake with that one!!
However - thanks, Christy - I'm pretty sure
And s - I'll be so glad when this lot leave you- it's been rough, that's for sure
Don't work too hard Sparrow.
No worries darlin. We will be here!
Post a Comment