Friday, August 8, 2008

My Son. My Apprentice.

If my son ever gets around to it.. As my apprentice this will be his first study.

If he does study it, then I will consider that maybe, one day, he will be an 'artist'.

Any tagger with a bottle of spraypaint can graffitti up a wall Christian.

But... How many of them can actually build a wall?


(Speaking of Christian, he has assembled his own art blog to put his 'study' on. Click here to see two of his works. I am SO proud!)

4 comments:

Christy said...

I would like to again reiterate our staircase conversation.

I can not stress to you enough Christian that it is the EXACT SAME staircase I climbed as an artist.

How do I know, because when I was exactly your age, I saw and said the SAME EXACT things.

AND my skill level was the exact same as the skills you show now. Virtually identical.

There is not a single artist on earth that developed without graffitti. Graffitti is the normal human evolution of artistic skill, and anyone can do it. Most people get there, and then stop.

But, to be 'an artist'... To truly become something that has evolved further than what we all can do, graffitti must be left behind as you reach for that next step.

You have to reach for it, no one else can decide if you are truly an 'artist'.

ONLY then will we be standing on 'different' staircases, because yours will branch out into its own direction. You can follow on mine, or you can reach hieghts even I will never reach.

We are the SAME Christian. The only thing you lack to be me on canvas is my confidence. And practice.

But if you will just trust me baby, I can give you that confidence even when you feel like it is impossible to muster your own, I have faith in your artistic 'vison'. If you believe in it too, the confidence will come.

The Force is strong in you Luke, I mean Christian! If you never develop further I am already so proud of you.

But, if you really do want to be 'an artist', then all you have to do at this point is put your foot out and take a leap of faith.

I promise you, the staircase is there, even if you can not see it. Just reach for it, and you WILL land on solid ground.

Christy said...

And one more thing,

That is the whole point of you being an 'apprentice'.

You are on MY staircase, so you do not have to worry about building your own until you are ready. You will know when you are ready.

You know how I work, I do not 'need' an apprentice to do my grunt work.

This is about YOU Christian, and YOUR future.

And no matter what you decide to become, what you learn as an artist will give you insight that very few others get to enjoy.

I really hope you reach for it. I am there in that darkness looming up ahead of you. Reach for me and I will not let you fall off of MY staircase.

Wendy said...

Yes, Christy and Christian, it's easy to see the connection and the similarities of interest. I'm very impressed with your drawings, Christian and I love the pictures on your site.

Christy said...

I have to admit it. He is actually quite further along than I was at his age. He is a much stronger sketch artist than I was.

The more I study his sketches, the more certain I am that his actual level of talent eclipses mine. I am hard on him, but my God, such talent can not be left to wither. That would be a SIN.

He is actually incorporaring linear perspective. I am stunned by him. He does not have a river of talent, he has an ocean of it.

And if he ever gets serious about it, if he ever learns to control it, it will not be long until I am standing on HIS staircase.

Don't just dream Christian, DREAM BIG!

God gave you everything you need. A talent that could literally be limitless, and me as your mother to be in awe of it.