Monday, August 25, 2008

A Korean bell - in America!

Click the photo for details.

As stated before, I am preparing for a long-term stay in Seoul, and will be sending in lots of artwork photos from there. I will also try to go to other South Korean cities for even more traditional artwork.

But it's not necessary to go all the way to Korea for a look at a traditional Korean bell. As it turns out, one fine example sits right here in Los Angeles, in the port community of San Pedro.

It was a gift from South Korea's government for the US bicentennial in 1976. At that time, South Korea was a fascist military dictatorship - not a good place to be for laborers, students, foreigners (except US Republicans), women (abortion was absolutely illegal in principle, but in reality tolerated and encouraged for female fetuses for population control), LGBTs, and even small businesses. It was the same fascist government that funded Reverend Moon's pro-Republican activities in the US, in the wake of the fall of South Vietnam, and this bell was another attempt by the fascists to maintain the favor of the US.

But nevertheless, this is a very fine example of Korean bronze bell, with intricate decorations showing a Statue of Liberty holding hands with her Korean counterpart. The bell's design is based on that of the Emille Bell in Gyeongju, which I will most likely visit during my trip. It looks like the fascist rule had a few goods, in a way; not only did they give this lovely bell to Los Angeles, but my road trip to Gyeongju will involve South Korea's expressways and automobiles, two enduring legacies of the fascist era (inspired by none other than Nazi Germany's Autobahns and Volkswagens).

More information:

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow! That certainly is some bell. I like bells - they are all different in both looks and sound. And they each have stories to tell. Even the old cow bell.

Christy said...

WOW is right!

What is a bell like that used for? Religious ceremonies?

BIG ceremonies.

Somehow this post never came up for me yesterday. My refresh is not refreshing.

Christy said...

Is that a temple housing it?

Look at the mosaic work on the architechture.

FANTASTIC! Great colors!

Rachel said...

Christy

This bell is rung 4 times a year - New Year's Day, American and Korean independence days, and sometime in September.

Bells like these used to be common in Buddhist temples and used for religious purposes. The Emille Bell was definitely a temple bell.

When I get to Seoul, there will be another bell like this right in downtown, which is rung 33 times every New Year's Day. The city's main street is called Bell Street, just because of that bell.

Some Korean craftsmen came to Los Angeles to build a pavilion specifically for the Friendship Bell. Read the Wikipedia article for a photo and some details (including the 12 Chinese zodiac animals making up the pillars).

Ally McRepuke

Christy said...

Man that green and red is just thrilling.

If you build a villa Rachel that is 'Asain' in style, a paint job like this would be just as pretty as any Greek one.

So pretty!

Rachel said...

Christy

That's your typical Korean color theme for you! I'll send more of that color theme from Seoul - palaces, temples, etc.

I know I'll get sick of it during my trip.

Ally McRepuke

Christy said...

I don't think I could ever get tired of that color combination.

Green and red...Ahhhh.