Thursday, August 28, 2008

Amarna


I not only found another statue of Nefertiti, with ears intact, I also found a rarely seen statue of the Heretic King himself.

The revolution that swept through Egypt under Akhenaten also changed their art from classical, to...something else.

But before he changed everything, there were images of him that fit the classic mold. I knew I would find one...someday. And I did!

Most people do not realize Egyptian artists worked from direct mathematical dimensions. This is probably as close as it gets to what he actually looked like. Not bad for a heretic.

Why he had himself distorted so badly later on, I, like so many others, can not even begin to fathom the reasons. The art itself holds no clues as to the motives of the artist.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

This is truly amazing. And gorgeous!

Christy said...

It is very pretty.

He looks so...normal.

After a lifetime of considering him as some kind of 'freak' this is really quite striking.