hahaha - yes - that's how it is with some. On my walk every day I pass a big old house. I've never ever seen the occupants but they have 2 rottweilers. The black one is older and I suppose he must have been given the task of training the smaller brown puppy in *guarding*.
He'd leap at the gate barking madly every time I passed by. And everyone else - it's a main pedestrian path. From day one I just sing-songed "Hello Noisy!" as I walked by. That was back in May. Now the big black dog no longer beats at the gate but barks whilst he dances around in circles, waving his whole back end, when I pass. And the little one looks at me in silence.
It's hilarious. I'm wondering if I'm a handicap in the guarding-teaching-learning program.
That is why I like labs, they are very laid back, no fence attacking.
It is always a good idea to address dogs like that in that sing song voice. It works wonders.
I know Sam can get aggressive though. My man came in off a rig at like 4 am the other morning. Sam must not have heard him pull up because as soon as he opened the door Sam started growling and barking and rushing him.
He had to call out to him and he stopped, but for a moment there my man thought he was going to be bit by our own dog.
Poor baby is limping bad these days, it has been raining here so that has to make it worse on him. But even so, he proved that night that he will make a good guard dog.
It is not a 'joint' problem. It is a bone problem.
He went from newborn to a 70 pound dog in 7 months. When your bones grow that fast it forms more like jagged concrete than the smooth bone we think of.
It is basically a ridge of bone spurs all the way up his legs, and every time he moves it is cutting into the flesh around it. He is in a lot of pain, it is horrible to watch.
The only way to fix it is with age. It will smooth out over time... but for now, he still seems to be growing.
The meds seem to be working. That dog asprin I had did not even begin to touch it even when I could get him to take enough of it.
He is still limping but his movements are a lot more fluid than before.
He will be ok in time. Tom tom will probably have the same problem.
4 comments:
hahaha - yes - that's how it is with some. On my walk every day I pass a big old house. I've never ever seen the occupants but they have 2 rottweilers. The black one is older and I suppose he must have been given the task of training the smaller brown puppy in *guarding*.
He'd leap at the gate barking madly every time I passed by. And everyone else - it's a main pedestrian path. From day one I just sing-songed "Hello Noisy!" as I walked by. That was back in May. Now the big black dog no longer beats at the gate but barks whilst he dances around in circles, waving his whole back end, when I pass. And the little one looks at me in silence.
It's hilarious. I'm wondering if I'm a handicap in the guarding-teaching-learning program.
That is why I like labs, they are very laid back, no fence attacking.
It is always a good idea to address dogs like that in that sing song voice. It works wonders.
I know Sam can get aggressive though. My man came in off a rig at like 4 am the other morning. Sam must not have heard him pull up because as soon as he opened the door Sam started growling and barking and rushing him.
He had to call out to him and he stopped, but for a moment there my man thought he was going to be bit by our own dog.
Poor baby is limping bad these days, it has been raining here so that has to make it worse on him. But even so, he proved that night that he will make a good guard dog.
Maybe he will save us from Tom Tom.
Yes - that joint problem is awful for big dogs. I do hope he grows out of it.
It is not a 'joint' problem. It is a bone problem.
He went from newborn to a 70 pound dog in 7 months. When your bones grow that fast it forms more like jagged concrete than the smooth bone we think of.
It is basically a ridge of bone spurs all the way up his legs, and every time he moves it is cutting into the flesh around it. He is in a lot of pain, it is horrible to watch.
The only way to fix it is with age. It will smooth out over time... but for now, he still seems to be growing.
The meds seem to be working. That dog asprin I had did not even begin to touch it even when I could get him to take enough of it.
He is still limping but his movements are a lot more fluid than before.
He will be ok in time. Tom tom will probably have the same problem.
Post a Comment