Oh my gosh, Cedric! That is really impressive. I knew I'd love to see your work as you develop into your own. Beautiful coloured background. I love that blue and the folds of the robe must be really hard to do. Well done. Looking forward to more.
I really like it too. It is very... straightforward.
I am not sure if that word makes sense, but... It is very simple and easy to look at.
As your teacher though Cedric, I will reiterate my problems with this canvas.
This canvas has the same trap laying in wait that Britneys does.
And yes, I am spelling her name however because she NEVER corrects me.
The trap is, to get this on your first canvas is really a stroke of pure LUCK. And your second, third and 4th canvases will almost certainly not go as well. But it is supposed to be that way, so the future disappointment must not stop you.
They will probably go wrong simply because you are trying to work out the basic skills of applying paint with the brush. I can teach you to paint like I do, I can teach you how to apply the paint, but your own style and tastes will have to be honed.
Think of your future screw ups as a strech. Flexing muscles you never used before. Your first grasps at controlling it will almost certainly be disappointing, and if you attempt it completely alone it will probably go VERY badly. Like a muscle.. Until it is strengthened, it will tremble. Your hand will shake.
But I want you to do it anyway. And then do another one, and then another, and another and another until you gain control of the brush.
The mental things you should look for on your next canvases are very important.
You hesitation to bring the color all the way up to the line must be phased out. Gapping and dotting in the paint is the difference between high quality and simple flaws anyone can see.
If you can see it, so can I, so can anybody.
A piece of clothing, for example, on the background. The background must be completely covered and it has to remain solid right up to the line of the cloth. The cloth also has to remain solid all the way to the background.
The two colors must solidly kiss.
Your hesitation is completely understandable, it can be very intimidating to make two colors collide, but once you phase out the hesitation and clean up those lines you will suddenly be getting top quality paint jobs, even if the art itself is questionable.
Even bad art is still good art if it is high quality.
I think you will be much more comfortable painting your own sketches, I think you should try the Chinese lady, but not yet, because you have got to steady your hand first. She is quite advanced as far as detail work goes, and detail work is the hardest part. Any shakes will ruin it.
I can not emphasize enough how many times I have looked at art I did not personally like, but the quality of it was so good, I could not help but want it, simply for the craftmanship.
People can or will say many things about my art, but they will never be able to deny the devotion, time and love I put into each of them.
Once you get confident on canvas Cedric, always remember, quality is as important as symmetry in the overall vision of beauty.
4 comments:
Oh my gosh, Cedric! That is really impressive. I knew I'd love to see your work as you develop into your own. Beautiful coloured background. I love that blue and the folds of the robe must be really hard to do. Well done. Looking forward to more.
I really like it too. It is very... straightforward.
I am not sure if that word makes sense, but... It is very simple and easy to look at.
As your teacher though Cedric, I will reiterate my problems with this canvas.
This canvas has the same trap laying in wait that Britneys does.
And yes, I am spelling her name however because she NEVER corrects me.
The trap is, to get this on your first canvas is really a stroke of pure LUCK. And your second, third and 4th canvases will almost certainly not go as well. But it is supposed to be that way, so the future disappointment must not stop you.
They will probably go wrong simply because you are trying to work out the basic skills of applying paint with the brush. I can teach you to paint like I do, I can teach you how to apply the paint, but your own style and tastes will have to be honed.
Think of your future screw ups as a strech. Flexing muscles you never used before. Your first grasps at controlling it will almost certainly be disappointing, and if you attempt it completely alone it will probably go VERY badly. Like a muscle.. Until it is strengthened, it will tremble. Your hand will shake.
But I want you to do it anyway. And then do another one, and then another, and another and another until you gain control of the brush.
The mental things you should look for on your next canvases are very important.
You hesitation to bring the color all the way up to the line must be phased out. Gapping and dotting in the paint is the difference between high quality and simple flaws anyone can see.
If you can see it, so can I, so can anybody.
A piece of clothing, for example, on the background. The background must be completely covered and it has to remain solid right up to the line of the cloth. The cloth also has to remain solid all the way to the background.
The two colors must solidly kiss.
Your hesitation is completely understandable, it can be very intimidating to make two colors collide, but once you phase out the hesitation and clean up those lines you will suddenly be getting top quality paint jobs, even if the art itself is questionable.
Even bad art is still good art if it is high quality.
I think you will be much more comfortable painting your own sketches, I think you should try the Chinese lady, but not yet, because you have got to steady your hand first. She is quite advanced as far as detail work goes, and detail work is the hardest part. Any shakes will ruin it.
But all in all, it is an excellent first canvas!
I can not emphasize enough how many times I have looked at art I did not personally like, but the quality of it was so good, I could not help but want it, simply for the craftmanship.
People can or will say many things about my art, but they will never be able to deny the devotion, time and love I put into each of them.
Once you get confident on canvas Cedric, always remember, quality is as important as symmetry in the overall vision of beauty.
This is wonderful - Cedric is picking up Christy's skills straightforward, and that's not a bad thing at all!
Ally McRepuke
Post a Comment