I don't know what I'll be doing during my stay, but at the very least I will be posting photos of some of Seoul's royal palaces. If I luck out and get to leave the city, you can expect more artwork photos here, especially if I get to take a road trip to the historic city of Gyeongju, home to several UNESCO World Heritage sites. I'll bore you to death with Buddhist art, especially, since I am planning to include the nation's three most famous Buddhist temples in my drive. (DiAnne - I will post more Kwan Yins than you'll know what to do with!)
Keep your fingers crossed, please! For now, here's a teaser of what I'll see and photograph - the Dabotap Pagoda in Gyeongju. Possibly the most elaborate and delicate stone pagoda you'll ever come across.
5 comments:
Gosh - dismantled by the Japanese in the 1920s! The amazing thing is that so much of it was able to be restored, apart from the 2 missing lions. Where are they? I wonder.
This is wonderful, right down to the ground level fence surrounding it.
That is very delicate. Amazing something so fragile could be built of stone.
It is wonderful! And I can not wait for the pics from your trip.
I was looking at that book I was telling you about, the one about Chinese myths, and I realized the Italians were definately not the first ones to figure it all out.
The Chinese were doing graphic perspective and tonal dimension atleast 1000 years before the Italians developed it.
Western art and Asian art is so different it is no wonder it took the west so long to catch up.
Those lions are probably sitting in the garden of a home once owned by an old soldier of somebodys country.
A war prize. Probably a gift to his woman.
Wow. That is totally creepy!
Those are amazing! I'm awestruck. Can't wait to see more pictures. (And if you have a DCP thread header email it to me. Who knows, maybe something will come up.)
Suz - I will probably send something in from Seoul for the DCP header.
Christy and woz - the last time I was at the British Museum, their Korean exhibit space was small, and I don't remember seeing a Dabotap lion. I better check again the next time I visit London.
Ally McRepuke
Post a Comment