Friday, September 26, 2008

India 1810

I really like this one. Not sure why.

3 comments:

Christy said...

So odd, that barren landscape contrasting with the highly decorated clothing and horse rigging.

Wendy said...

I'm having a hard time working out the subject matter of the painting. Indian history has always been so damned complicated that I've basically ignored it.

Being in such a strategic location economically and politically, it would have been sought by all. It has existed under the colonial rule of one country or another in the world and did not achieve Independence from it's longest rulers - the British - until after the 2nd world war.

I can't work out who these people might have been. The painting itself is playing tricks on my eyes - I saw the back end of the horse as being the torso and leg of the figure who is actually behind the horse.

I do have vision problems and this picture is beyond me. Technically it could be excellent. It doesn't appeal to me at all.

Christy said...

I am pretty sure the subject is a royal kid with his servants.

It does seem almost like it is a trick painting.

The background does not match the subject,

I like it, but I agree, it is a tricky image.