It is chilling to stand close by the executioner's block where her head was lain and severed. She is so young in this picture. It's really hard to know her fate whilst looking at her picture here.
Elizabeth I was in no hurry to kill her, I think she would have been content to let her be imprisoned for life.
She was paying off Marys son, so there was no real threat of her being made a symbolic reason for a Scottish invasion. Besides he knew he could not defeat Elizabeth militarily.
Elizabeth really had no choice once Mary was caught plotting against her in her own handwriting.
Elizabeth must have really struggled with it, because to behead her could cause the symbolic cause for war, but also her own mother, a queen, was also beheaded.
It is not every day you kill a queen, even if you are a queen.
And besides, they were also cousins.
Mary may have been a delightful girl, but she was a foolish woman. She should have known better than to force the hand of Elizabeth.
True, she probably brought it on by her own actions. But if they had to kill her, well, I ...I don't know. Beheading is gruesome as is firing squads. But ...
Oh great... (sarcasm tag)
It's pretty ironic that we have better technology now to kill people quickly and less grusomely.
8 comments:
I have never been a 'girly girl', but this portrait just makes me want to reach in and touch her hair.
Brush it, run my fingers through it, maybe pin it back up for her.
It is a very pretty portrait of a very pretty girl. She looks so young and... oblivious.
It was a very pretty head to lose.
I freaking LOVE this portrait!
It is chilling to stand close by the executioner's block where her head was lain and severed. She is so young in this picture. It's really hard to know her fate whilst looking at her picture here.
God those were gruesome times.
It is a truly beautiful portrait.
Christy
I have to ditto you... Lovely portrait indeed!
Formerly Ally McLesbian
She is beautiful in this portrait. So innocent looking! It's sad to think of her being beheaded.
What a horrible thing that is to do to others. I will never understand how people could do that.
Ok. that is it,
I want one and I am going to paint one.
i can't stop looking at her.
Actually, she brought her beheading on herself.
Elizabeth I was in no hurry to kill her, I think she would have been content to let her be imprisoned for life.
She was paying off Marys son, so there was no real threat of her being made a symbolic reason for a Scottish invasion. Besides he knew he could not defeat Elizabeth militarily.
Elizabeth really had no choice once Mary was caught plotting against her in her own handwriting.
Elizabeth must have really struggled with it, because to behead her could cause the symbolic cause for war, but also her own mother, a queen, was also beheaded.
It is not every day you kill a queen, even if you are a queen.
And besides, they were also cousins.
Mary may have been a delightful girl, but she was a foolish woman. She should have known better than to force the hand of Elizabeth.
Christy,
True, she probably brought it on by her own actions. But if they had to kill her, well, I ...I don't know. Beheading is gruesome as is firing squads. But ...
Oh great... (sarcasm tag)
It's pretty ironic that we have better technology now to kill people quickly and less grusomely.
Post a Comment