Saturday, August 16, 2008

Brittany, On Canvas

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, well done Brittany. She really is amazing. I was hoping that you were going to paint the young child but this one is very special. I cannot believe that she is your first.

I can't imagine what will come from you in the future.

Christy said...

This canvas proves to me she has the follow through to do it.

True, a trained eye can pick up my touch on this canvas, but it is her very first one.

And I only helped with detail work.

Once she puts in practice though, her hand is going to be as steady as any I've seen.

Her mother saw that canvas and her jaw just dropped!

S said...

I thought you did it as an example for her! This is beautiful work, Brittany. Great job. Gosh Christy, you're going to create a family art business or something.

Christy said...

No, I made her do it. It was her own sketch. She has learned so much just from watching! She knows what to do, just not how.

I am amazed at what her hours of watching me, just watching, nothing else, did... She went right to that canvas and just OWNED it! She has a confidence that took me years to develop.

I am seriously stunned by her! I gave up because it seemed such a remote chance. Now it seems like destiny!

This pic was taken right before final touch up and signature.

It is signed by her and only her. She did very good!

We were going to make her up her own account and blog too, but she had to go before we got to it.

Her study will be much different than Christian and Cedric, she will start with the Italian Masters and Mexican folk artists.

Portraiture.

But she will also be sketching and doing compilations with Cedric.

Christy said...

To be honest, what I am trying to create is a legacy, that will endure through time.

One day I will be long gone, but when one of my children gaze at a Picasso, I hope they think of me. When they see Michelangelo, they will remember how excited I was to tell them his story and show them his works.

And when they remember me, they will be the most COLORFUL memories I can possibly hope for.

I had a weird moment watching Brittany and all of them working together.

Raffael was probably the youngest 'Master' in history, Fully trained by 15. But he was born into a family of artists who did have their own studios. He was litrally trained from birth.

As I watched Brittany I knew I would never be a Raffael. Not from lack of talent, not from lack of desire or anything, but because I was never properly trained.

It does not have to be that way for them. Not only can I teach them, but I want to give them those memories of color, texture and beauty.

I may never be a Raffael, but maybe my struggle was never about my own art. Maybe I was meant to train a Raffael.

Maybe I learned it, because it is my destiny to teach it.

Not for money, not for fame, but because I love art, and I want everyone else to love it too. What a precious and wonderful thing we can do! No other animal on earth can do it.

I can give them freely what most people can never afford to learn. And I see so much talent in them I would be a total fool to not realize I am going to be eclipsed. And soon.

It feels so odd lately, I have such a feeling of standing on the edge of destiny. There is no fear or dread, just such awe at the beauty of the light ahead calling me towards it. I do not have words for the beauty of it, just tears of awe.

I saw Brittany painting at my easel and I was thinking of the child inside of her as she held my brushes and focused so hard. I can train him too. Or her. She will train and teach that baby what I taught her. She will tell them about her first canvas on the easel of her teacher and she will show it to them and let him touch it and show him the details of her very first masterpiece. Painted while she was carrying him. Or her.

That baby could be a Raffael. Kaylle could be too, trained since birth. Ana too.

And even if none of them will become artists, working artists or serious artists, they will all have such colorful memories. Memories that are hanging on the wall and passed to each other through each generation. My greart great grandchildren will touch where I touched.

I can't help but cry at the thought of it.

Nothing I have ever done before is as important as what I am doing now, and I do not ever want to do anything else.

I will teach anyone that is willing to learn. Anyone. For free. It should be free.

I think it is what I am suppossed to do.

Only teaching a Michelangelo or Raffael could be better than being one.

And the world needs so many of them.

S said...

That's fantastic, Christy. You have the 'heart' of a homeschooler.

ironmanthegr8 said...

my baby did a great job on this canvas i caint wait to put my 1st on up

good job B

Christy said...

Homeschooler. HAHA!

If I had to teach them any other subject, I don't think I could do it. I don't have the patience.

No one wants me teaching their kid math, not even me! Thank the Lord for school teachers!

But art is different, I can relate EVERYTHING to it. History, science, philosophy, God. Evolution.

Hey there Cedric! I was looking over your sketch again in digital format where I could enlarge it.

You are totally good. Incredible detail work.

As I said, I want you and Brittany sketching together.

Yall need to come get these books and paper packets. I'll get you some sketchbooks as soon as I can.

Wendy said...

Well, I'm overwhelmed by all of this. The young artists in your life Christy are very lucky to have your nurturing and guidance. They will flourish, I feel sure of it.

Cedric - we are eagerly awaiting your first painting too, just as you are eager to produce it.

And Brittany, I hope we get to see this lady complete with your signature.