Saturday, August 23, 2008

Raffael


St. Catherine.


3 comments:

Christy said...

On a few of his works, just a few, his composition becomes jumbled, messy. The placement of subject he struggled at.

A surprising weakness in such a strong artist, but then again, it is a weakness of youth. Not seeing the whole picture BEFORE you begin.

It was his ONLY weakness.

I do not think I have ever seen a better artist than him on a technical level.

If he had lived past his 30s, if he had matured... He would have stood alone, unequaled, unrivaled.

His perfection is so obvious that I have to keep blinking to believe what I am seeing.

On a technical level... I just keep shaking my head at the wonder of it.

If he had lived, he would have become the greatest artist the world had ever known.

Wendy said...

Christy, thanks for all the information about the masters. I hope that I remember some of it. You have been soaking it up like a sponge throughout your life, I think. But I can't comment, except in this instance to wonder what we'd be celebrating today had he lived longer.

My only failure throughout my entire schooling was Year 8 Art! Embarrassed? Yes. I feel like the pilot in The Little Prince when he couldn't draw the sheep he was asked for, so he drew a box saying that the sheep was inside. The Little Prince understood immediately. "Look! He's gone to sleep ...."

Christy said...

You failed art?

HAHAHA! The sheep is inside the box!

The Masters, especially those three , Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raffael... I have always been so amazed by that nexis.

To think 3 such amazing talents all came from the same place, but more than that, they all actually knew each other and you can see in their works them using each other as inspiration.

But it was more than just them, it was those surrounding them.

For example, Michelangelo was taken, basically off the streets when he was a young 12 or 13, into the personal residence of the De Medici. They not only paid for his room and board and his training, but he was treated like their own kids. Like royalty.

He would have, as a kid, dined with popes and politicians, scientists and even BOTTICELLI!

It is no wonder he wound up being used politically. As far as the De Medici was concerned, he BELONGED to them. They raised him, gave him everything. All they wanted in return was to control his art and use it for their own purposes.

And again, it is no wonder he hated other talented artists, because they not only would be competing with him in legacy, but they would have done so while seeking the favors of the De Medici.

To Michelangelo, they were his FAMILY, and they owed HIM, not other artists.

It really is quite an amazing story. The older I get, the more amazing it becomes to me.

I could study those 4 artists, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raffael and Botticelli for the rest of my life and never get bored.